Cancellation, Add/Drop, and Withdrawal
The summer session drop windows close more quickly than in fall and spring semesters due to the shorter summer terms. The drop windows are the same percentage of semester for all semesters. The shorter the semester or course period, the fewer the days for course withdrawal. For example, the add/drop period ends the first Wednesday of class for the standard first, second, and third four-week terms.
Know your online section number in RAMweb:
- 40X Sections are online classes for Main Campus Students.
- 80X sections are online classes for students of CSU Online.
- CSU Online Course Drop and Withdrawal deadlines and refund policies for 80X sections differ from University deadlines. For additional information, please see CSU Online Drop Policies.
- Main Campus students: For details about the financial impact of course cancellation, add/drop, and withdrawal by each term, see Tuition Assessment Deadlines.
- The last day to apply for a Repeat Delete for the summer term is Monday, July 26, 2021.
- The Registrar’s Office website provides in-depth information about Registration Changes.
Schedule Change Periods
Summer Session 2021 schedule change and course withdrawal deadlines for each course are available in several resources:
- In RAMweb. Once you are registered, you can find these dates through the “Weekly Class Schedule” area.
- Select the “Registered Course Details” link for deadline specifics.
- Next, select “Summer Session 2021“.
- On the class schedule. Select the “Title” link for the specific course section.
- Schedule change deadlines for common terms within summer session 2021 are available on the Summer Session Calendar.
Dropping Summer Session Courses
- Summer course(s) in must be dropped in RAMweb before the specific term begins or during the designated schedule change period.
- 100% of tuition and specific charges related to a course will be assessed if it is not dropped within the designated period.
Please note: 40X sections in RAMweb may appear as 80X in Canvas because of merged sections including both CSU Online and CSU degree-seeking students. All sections must be dropped in RAMweb by the appropriate dates as listed in RAMweb through the student’s Weekly Class Schedule window > Registered Course Details link.
- Drop all online summer courses in RAMweb
- If you are a summer-only student who is enrolled in an online course with a section ID in the 800 series, contact CSU Online with questions.
- If you are a degree-seeking student or summer-only student enrolled in an online course with a section ID in the 400 series (in RAMweb, not Canvas), contact staff in the Registrar’s Office or Office of Financial Aid depending on the nature of your question.
Using RAMweb to Drop Courses
- Visit RAMweb and log in;
- In the “Registration” box, choose the “Go to Registration” link;
- Continue to the Registration page and select the “Register for Classes” link;
- On the “Select a Term” page, select the drop-down list:
- Choose “Summer Session 2021” and “Continue”;
- On the “Register for Classes” screen, find the “Summary” area, then:
- Choose the “Drop on web” action for the course you wish to drop, and
- Select “Submit.”
Course Withdrawal Period
- During the Course Withdrawal Period, which begins after the Add/Drop Period ends, courses may be dropped and a “W” (withdrawal) will be recorded on the academic record.
- The course Withdrawal Period for each course is listed in the course details in RAMweb.
- Tuition and fees are not adjusted for course withdrawals during this period.
- Students make withdrawals by course in RAMweb.
- Requests for course withdrawals during the last week of summer courses are considered through the registration appeal process.
Need to withdraw from a course after the deadline? Please review the information on the Registrar’s Registration Changes web resource. For assistance with the implications and next steps, please contact staff in the Office of the Registrar through their Contact Us web page.
University Withdrawals are not processed during the CSU Summer office as you may drop or withdraw from your last class through RAMweb. Check dates and deadlines for each section on your weekly class schedule.
Additional information is available from Registration Changes, University Withdrawal section.
Registration appeal requests for courses within the summer term are due to the Registrar’s Office by Friday, August 6, 2021 at 4:30 p.m. Appeal forms are available from the Registrar’s Forms resource, Appeals section.
- Course withdrawals after the date listed in RAMweb, up to the Friday prior to the last week of class, can be processed by contacting staff in Office of the Registrar from a student’s colostate.edu email address or in person (100 Centennial Hall).
- Course withdrawals requested after the Friday prior to the last week of class may be considered with documentation of extenuating circumstances beyond a student’s control.
Registration appeal requests for courses within the summer term are due to the Registrar’s Office by August 6, 2021.
The following information is required for the appeal request:
- Registration Appeal Cover Sheet from the Registrar’s website under “Forms“. Download “Registration Appeal“.
- Student letter to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs explaining the reason for the appeal.
- Instructor document on “Documentation from…” (page 3 of the Registration Appeal download) or letter on departmental letterhead providing information on the student’s academic performance or attendance relevant to the appeal.
- Documentation of extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control (medical documentation, accident report, advisor’s statement, etc.) Medical documentation should be in the form of a letter from a medical provider, not medical records.